by Richard James Lane, printed by Charles Joseph Hullmandel, published by Joseph Dickinson, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
lithograph, published 20 December 1829
21 1/4 in. x 14 3/8 in. (540 mm x 365 mm) paper size
Given by Austin Lane Poole, 1956
Sitterback to top
- Frances Anne ('Fanny') Kemble (1809-1893), Actress and author. Sitter in 24 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Joseph Dickinson (1780-1849), Stationer and lithographic publisher. Artist associated with 83 portraits.
- Charles Joseph Hullmandel (1789-1850), Lithographic draughtsman and printer. Artist associated with 106 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1225 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 689 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG D22010: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D22401: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D22402: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36820: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36821: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36822: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36823: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36824: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36825: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
Events of 1829back to top
Current affairsMetropolitan police force of over three thousand paid, uniformed, professional policemen founded by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel.
Roman Catholic Relief Act grants emancipation; Catholics admitted to vote, sit in parliament and hold almost all public offices.
Art and scienceSuccess of George Stephenson's Rocket steam engine at Rainhill Trials.
First London bus service licensed; the new 'box-on-wheels' contributes greatly to the expansion of the suburbs.
Apsley House completed for the Duke of Wellington by Benjamin Wyatt.
First Oxford and Cambridge boat race.
InternationalAndrew Jackson is elected President of the United States.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Regency familiar faces
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.