by Richard James Lane, printed by M & N Hanhart, after Samuel Laurence
lithograph, circa 1825-1850
13 in. x 10 1/4 in. (328 mm x 260 mm) paper size
Given by Austin Lane Poole, 1956
Sitterback to top
- Sara Coleridge (1802-1852), Writer; daughter of Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- M & N Hanhart (active 1839-1882), Lithographic printers. Artist associated with 333 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1225 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Samuel Laurence (1812-1884), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 38 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Events of 1825back to top
Current affairsStrikes, contract breaking and worker intimidation prompt the passing of a new Anti-Trade Union Combination Act to the dismay of economist John McCulloch, MP Joseph Hume and radical Francis Place who had worked for the repeal of the previous year.
Catholic Relief Bill is rejected by the House of Lords.
Art and scienceConstruction of Thames Tunnel begins under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel.
Stockton to Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger system, opens.
William Hazlitt publishes The Spirit of the Age; twenty-five pen-portraits of his contemporaries in the world of literature, philosophy and politics.
InternationalBeethoven's Ninth Symphony premieres in London.
John Quincy Adams is elected President of the United States.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Peterloo 1819: Democracy, Protest and Justice
Until 1 March 2020