5 of 32 portraits of Alix Strachey
by Lady Ottoline Morrell
vintage snapshot print, 1917
2 3/8 in. x 1 1/2 in. (60 mm x 39 mm) image size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Dame Helen Gardner Bequest, 2003
Sittersback to top
- Dora Carrington (1893-1932), Artist. Sitter in 20 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits. Identify
- Herbert Henry Asquith, 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith (1852-1928), Prime Minister. Sitter in 73 portraits. Identify
- Alix Strachey (née Sargant-Florence) (1892-1973), Psychologist and translator; wife of James Strachey. Sitter in 32 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits. Identify
- (Giles) Lytton Strachey (1880-1932), Critic and biographer; son of Sir Richard Strachey. Sitter in 143 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Lady Ottoline Morrell (1873-1938), Patron of the arts; half-sister of 6th Duke of Portland; wife of Philip Edward Morrell. Artist associated with 1715 portraits, Sitter associated with 596 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Oxfordshire (Garsington Manor, Oxfordshire)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Conscientious Objectors of the First World War (From 21 June 2016)
Events of 1917back to top
Current affairsKing George V changes his name from 'Saxe-Coburg' to 'Windsor.' Amid wartime anti-German public sentiment the British Royal Family decided to relinquish their German name and titles. The name 'Windsor' was chosen as variation on ''Wettin', the late Prince Albert's personal surname.
Art and scienceThe National Photographic Record is established at the instigation of the photographer Walter Stoneman to commission photographs of 'distinguished living contemporaries of British nationality.' This project allowed the National Portrait Gallery to circumvent its own rule that portraits could not enter the collection until the sitter had been dead ten years.
InternationalThe Russian Revolution begins with the February Revolution and the abdication of Tsar Nicholas II. Seven months later the Bolsheviks led by Vladimir Lenin seize power in the October Revolution forming the Soviet Communist Government, which lasted until 1991. The USA abandons its neutrality and joins the war against Germany following a series of attacks on American passenger and merchant ships.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.