by Unknown photographer
vintage snapshot print, 1915-1916
4 1/8 in. x 3 1/8 in.(105 mm x 80 mm)
Sitterback to top
- (Giles) Lytton Strachey (1880-1932), Critic and biographer; son of Sir Richard Strachey. Sitter in 143 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Sussex (Asheham House, home of Leonard and Virginia Woolf, Firle, Sussex)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1915back to top
Current affairsThe Times Newspaper reports that Britain's Army is suffering from a lack of Ammunition Shells, pointing the finger of blame at the Liberal government. The Shell Scandal forced Asquith to form a new coalition government, bringing Conservatives into the cabinet and demonstrating the need to gear the whole country's economy towards the war effort.
Art and scienceAs the threat from aerial attack increased, the decision was made to protect the national art collections by storing them in basements or in locations outside London. On 15th October the National Portrait Gallery under the directorship of Sir Charles John Holmes closed its doors to the public and removed paintings from the walls.
InternationalStalemate ensues on the Western Front and trench warfare begins as both sides take up defensive positions. While offensive strategies become futile, serious loss of life occurs with the first deployment of tanks and the use of poison gas.
Albert Einstein publishes his General Theory of Relativity, a model of gravitation and cosmology.
- Lives and Letters
- Photographic holdings - Albums 76-162
- Bloomsbury and Beyond
- Portraits on paper
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rebel women
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- Joseph Conrad
- George Augustus Sala
- Portraits of John Nash
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints