8 of 34 portraits of Juliette (née Baillot), Lady Huxley
by Unknown photographer
vintage snapshot print, 1916
2 3/8 in. x 4 in. (61 mm x 101 mm) image size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Dame Helen Gardner Bequest, 2003
Sittersback to top
- Cookie, Lady Ottoline Morrell's maid. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Juliette (née Baillot), Lady Huxley (1896-1994), Sculptor and writer; wife of Sir Julian Sorell Huxley. Sitter in 34 portraits.
- Lalage Lysaght, Cousin of Julian Vinogradoff (née Morrell). Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Lady Ottoline Morrell (1873-1938), Patron of the arts; half-sister of 6th Duke of Portland; wife of Philip Edward Morrell. Sitter associated with 596 portraits, Artist associated with 1715 portraits.
- Julian Vinogradoff (née Morrell) (1906-1989), Former wife of Sir Victor Goodman, and later wife of Igor Vinogradoff; daughter of Lady Ottoline Morrell. Sitter associated with 411 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Oxfordshire (Garsington, Oxfordshire)
Events of 1916back to top
Current affairsAs war drags on with heavy losses conscription is introduced with the Military Service Act. Conscientious objectors who refused to fight were compelled to do non-military war work, and some were jailed.
British Summer Time is introduced, putting the clocks forward an hour during the summer in order to capitalise on daylight hours.
Art and scienceC. Hubert H. Parry sets William Blake's poem, Jerusalem, to music popularising the poem and tune as a patriotic English anthem. On hearing Edward Elgar's orchestrated version in 1922, King George V suggested that it replace God Save the King as the National Anthem.
InternationalThe Irish Citizen Army starts a Nationalist rebellion in Dublin: The Easter Rising.
Massive losses are suffered on the Western Front at the battles of the Somme and Verdun.
The Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire (1916-18) led by Prince Faisal is assisted by T.E. Lawrence, who became known as Lawrence of Arabia.
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Bloomsbury and Beyond
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Party Trail
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints