2 of 13 portraits of Obafemi Awolowo
by Bassano Ltd
half-plate film negative, 21 July 1972
Sitterback to top
- Obafemi Awolowo (1909-1987), Nigerian politician, nationalist and writer. Sitter in 13 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42745 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 78 Wigmore Street, London)
Events of 1972back to top
Current affairsBritain joins the European Community. After two attempts both vetoed by President Charles De Gaulle of France, Britain is finally accepted into the EC under the pro-European leadership of Edward Heath.
British soldiers shoot 14 unarmed protesters in the Bloody Sunday massacre. The men were part of a march through Londonderry, protesting about the policy of internment without trial.
Art and scienceDavid Bowie releases The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars; a classic glam-rock concept album with the themes of space aliens, gender ambiguity and rock 'n' roll superstardom.
InternationalThe arrest of five men who were caught trying to bug the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee marks the beginning of the 'Watergate Scandal'. The scandal centred on attempts to spy on the Democratic opposition in order to help President Nixon's re-election, and finally led to Nixon's resignation two years later.
Black September Palestinian terrorists murder 11 Israeli athletes at the Olympic Games in Munich.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints