The Queen and Prince Albert at Home
The Queen and Prince Albert at Home
by Unknown artist, published by George Alfred Henry Dean
hand-coloured lithograph, circa 1844
10 7/8 in. x 8 7/8 in. (277 mm x 226 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1819-1861), Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 209 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits. Identify
- Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1844-1900), Naval officer; second son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 79 portraits. Identify
- Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (1843-1878), Third child of Queen Victoria; wife of Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. Sitter associated with 112 portraits. Identify
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 505 portraits. Identify
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 546 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. Identify
- Victoria, Empress of Germany and Queen of Prussia (1840-1901), Consort of Frederick III, German Emperor, King of Prussia; daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 124 portraits. Identify
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cannadine, Sir David (Introduction); Cooper, Tarnya; Stewart, Louise; MacGibbon, Rab; Cox, Paul; Peltz, Lucy; Moorhouse, Paul; Broadley, Rosie; Jascot-Gill, Sabina, Tudors to Windsors: British Royal Portraits, 2018 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas, USA, 7 October 2018 -3 February 2019. Bendigo Art Gallery, Australia, 16 March - 14 July 2019.), p. 180 Read entry
In this popular print, the royal couple are imagined playing with their four eldest children, emulating a scene made popular by Victorian artists, including Richard Parkes Bonington, who had depicted the French King Henri IV playing horse with his grandchildren (c.1827, Wallace Collection). A pair of doors was originally attached to the image, which opened to reveal the intimate scene.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert (10 September 2005 - 29 January 2006)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1844back to top
Current affairsBritain experiences a railway boom. Peel's government passes a series of Acts creating provision of cheap, regular rail services. George Hudson, the first great railway entrepreneur, who controlled over 1,000 miles of railway track and whose enterprises made York a major commercial and transport hub, becomes known as 'the Railway King'.
Art and scienceDisraeli's Coningsby is published. The first of his 1840s 'Young England' trilogy, it was the cultural manifesto of Disraeli's vision for a new Conservativism.
David Octavius Hill and Robert Adamson set up their innovative and pioneering photography studio in Edinburgh, capturing portraits of both Scottish society figures and workers, as well as urban and rural landscape scenes.
InternationalTensions continue to mount in Eastern Europe over Russian imperialist ambitions, as Tsar Nicholas I describes the Ottoman Empire as 'the Sick Man of Europe'.
With the overthrow of the Haitians, the Spanish-speaking portion of the island of Hispaniola gains independence, as the Dominican Republic.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Prince Albert Trail
- The World's Most Photographed
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- 2019 Anniversaries
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Queen Victoria Trail
- Alexandra of Denmark
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints