39 of 63 portraits of Virginia Woolf
by Lady Ottoline Morrell
vintage snapshot print, June 1924
2 3/4 in. x 3 in. (70 mm x 75 mm) image size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Dame Helen Gardner Bequest, 2003
Sitterback to top
- Virginia Woolf (née Stephen) (1882-1941), Novelist and critic; sister of Vanessa Bell. Sitter in 63 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lady Ottoline Morrell (1873-1938), Patron of the arts; half-sister of 6th Duke of Portland; wife of Philip Edward Morrell. Artist associated with 1715 portraits, Sitter associated with 596 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Oxfordshire (The Green Room, Garsington Manor, Oxfordshire)
Events of 1924back to top
Current affairsAfter narrowly winning the general election the previous year, Stanley Baldwin calls a vote of confidence at the opening of the new session of Parliament and is defeated. George V invited James Ramsay Macdonald to form a minority Labour government, making him the first Labour Prime Minister.
Art and scienceEric Liddell wins the gold medal at the Olympic games, breaking the record for running the 400 metres in 47.6 seconds. The distance was not in fact his strongest event, but he refused to run the 100 metres because the heats were held on the Sabbath. His story is told in the 1981 film Chariots of Fire.
InternationalAfter three strokes and several years of illness Lenin dies. Three days later the city of Petrograd is renamed Leningrad in his honour. On coming to power Stalin began the policy of 'socialism in one country' abandoning the traditional hope for international proletarian revolution in order to strengthen Russia internally and independently.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Bloomsbury and Beyond
- Party Trail
- Sir Leslie Stephen
- NPG 3882 in 360°
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Women's History Month
- Women’s History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.