Angus McBean Photograph. © Harvard Theatre Collection, Harvard University.
by Angus McBean
semi-matte bromide print, 1962
8 in. x 6 in. (202 mm x 151 mm)
acquired Laurence Kerr Olivier, Baron Olivier, 1962
Sitterback to top
- Laurence Kerr Olivier, Baron Olivier (1907-1989), Actor, producer and director. Sitter in 114 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Angus McBean (1904-1990), Photographer. Artist associated with 276 portraits, Sitter in 79 portraits.
Events of 1962back to top
Current affairsAfter a series of by-election defeats, the prime minister, Harold MacMillan organises a drastic cabinet reshuffle, dismissing one third of his cabinet. Liberal MP Jeremy Thorpe's wry comment summed up the desperate action: 'greater love hath no man than this, than to lay down his friends for his life.'
Britain suffers the 'Big Freeze' with no frost-free nights between 22nd December 1962 and 5th March 1963.
Art and scienceThe Beatles have their first hit with Love Me Do and release their first album Please Please Me.
The new Coventry Cathedral is consecrated and creates a showcase for British artistic talent with the first performance of Benjamin Britten's War Requiem, a wall hanging by Graham Sutherland, stained glass by John Piper, and sculptures by Jacob Epstein and Elizabeth Frink.
InternationalThe world comes to the brink of nuclear war with the Cuban Missile Crisis. In response to the USA's nuclear advantage, the USSR sent missiles to Cuba. The crisis lasted for 12 days before a deal was finally stuck between Khrushchev and Kennedy in which the Cuban missile bases were dismantled in return for the secret removal of US missiles from Turkey.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- NPG 5481a in 360°
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Britain 1960-1990
- Yousuf Karsh
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The World's Most Photographed
- Faces of Wales
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.