Derek John Harford Worlock
Derek John Harford Worlock
by Bassano Ltd
half-plate film negative, 27 June 1968
Sitterback to top
- Derek John Harford Worlock (1920-1996), Roman Catholic Archbishop of Liverpool. Sitter in 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist or producer associated with 42746 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 78 Wigmore Street, London)
Events of 1968back to top
Current affairsEnoch Powell delivers his 'Rivers of Blood' speech in Birmingham in opposition to anti-discrimination legislation and immigration from the commonwealth. The speech is usually regarded as racist and blamed for stirring up racial prejudice. Powell was sacked from the shadow cabinet as a result, but received considerable public approval at the time for his views.
Fay Sislin becomes England first black woman police officer.
Art and scienceBeaton Portraits is the first ever photographic exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery. Under the directorship of Roy Strong, the exhibition introduced a new, theatrical approach to display, and was so popular that the national press reported on the length of queues to get in and it had to be extended twice.
InternationalCivil unrest escalates in France as student protesters, joined by striking workers, clash with the police. The events came to represent the conflict between the new, liberalised, left-wing generation and the forces of authority and conservatism. French protests were mirrored by others abroad including the Prague Spring in Czechoslovakia, where political liberalisation was achieved for a few months before the country was invaded by the Soviet Union.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
- Spotlight: Queen Elizabeth II
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.