after Unknown artist
line engraving, after 1593
5 5/8 in. x 4 1/4 in. (142 mm x 108 mm) plate size; 7 3/8 in. x 6 1/4 in. (186 mm x 159 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Sitterback to top
- Gerardus Mercator (1512-1594), Flemish geographer, mathematician and cartographer. Sitter in 8 portraits.
Events of 1593back to top
Current affairsPlays and games are banned because of the Plague, which had killed 15,000 people in London the previous year.
Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex is made a Privy Councillor.
The theologian Richard Hooker publishes Of the Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity, the first systematic defence of the principals of the Elizabethan Church.
Art and scienceThe playwright Christopher Marlowe dies after receiving a stab wound in a tavern brawl.
William Shakespeare writes the epic poem Venus and Adonis.
The group portrait of Sir Thomas More with his family and descendants is painted by Rowland Lockey. It is partly copied from an earlier portrait by Hans Holbein the Younger (1527-8).
InternationalHenry IV of France converts from Protestantism to Catholicism to secure the support of the majority of his subjects.
The Convention of Uppsala demands that Sigismund III of Poland accepts Lutheranism as the national Religion of Sweden.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.