Comrades in Arms
8 of 28 portraits of Henry William Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey
Comrades in Arms
by Unknown artist
hand-coloured etching and aquatint, after 1815
6 3/4 in. x 4 1/2 in. (172 mm x 114 mm) plate size; 5 5/8 in. x 8 5/8 in. (142 mm x 219 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sittersback to top
- Henry William Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey (1768-1854), Field Marshal and Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland. Sitter in 28 portraits.
- Rowland Hill, 1st Viscount Hill (1772-1842), General. Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Thomas Graham, Baron Lynedoch (1748-1843), General. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Picton (1758-1815), Lieutenant-General. Sitter in 9 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1815back to top
Current affairsJohn and James Leigh Hunt are released from prison after a two year sentence for slandering the Prince of Wales in their outspoken, radical periodical the Examiner.
Corn Laws are introduced to protect against the collapse in prices which would inevitably follow peace with France, prompting riots in London.
Art and scienceHumphry Davy invents the miners' safety lamp though its reception is clouded by William Clanny and George Stephenson who present rival models in the same year.
British Institution arranges first in innovative series of Old Master exhibitions
provoking virulent attack on its patrons for neglecting contemporary art.
InternationalNapoleon returns to France from exile in Elba and resumes power until his abdication on 22 June; a period known as the 'Hundred Days'.
Battle of Waterloo concludes the Anglo-French struggle that had lasted more than a century. Peace of Vienna establishes Britain's global political, economic and imperial dominance which lasts for the next hundred years.
Exhibitions and displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- The Duke of Wellington: Sketches from a Military Life
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Rebel women test