The Royal Family
The Royal Family
by Bernard Lens (II)
8 1/4 in. x 6 7/8 in. (211 mm x 174 mm) paper size
Sittersback to top
- Queen Anne (1665-1714), Reigned 1702-14. Sitter associated with 74 portraits. Identify
- Prince George of Denmark, Duke of Cumberland (1653-1708), Consort of Queen Anne; son of King Frederick III of Denmark and Norway and Sophie Amalie of Brunswick-Lüneburg. Sitter in 34 portraits. Identify
- Queen Mary II (1662-1694), Reigned with William III 1689-94. Sitter associated with 97 portraits. Identify
- King William III (1650-1702), Reigned 1689-1702. Sitter associated with 142 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Bernard Lens (II) (1659 or 1660-1725), Artist and mezzotinter. Artist associated with 32 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
Events of 1689back to top
Current affairsWilliam III is crowned jointly with his wife Mary II in Westminster Abbey in an unprecedented coronation of two monarchs.
The Bill of Rights is passed establishing the supremacy of Parliament, while limiting the power of the Crown.
Scottish Jacobites defeat Williamite troops at the Battle of Killiiecrankie.
Art and scienceThomas Shadwell, appointed poet laureate and historiographer royal, replaces John Dryden, his literary adversary.
John Riley and Godfrey Kneller are jointly appointed principal painter to the king.
Composer Henry Purcell presents his opera, Dido and Aeneas, at Josias Priest's girls' school.
InternationalSupported by Irish Catholics, deposed James II lands in Ireland with French troops commanded by Duc de Lauzun. Within months, James and Jacobite, Richard Talbot, Earl of Tyrconnel convene the 'Patriot Parliament' which re-establishes Catholics into government and repeals the Act of Settlement (1652), restoring confiscated lands to Catholic owners.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints