Worthies of Britain
Worthies of Britain
by Francis Kyte
mezzotint, after 1725
13 3/4 in. x 9 7/8 in. (350 mm x 250 mm) plate size; 14 1/4 in. x 10 3/8 in. (361 mm x 263 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sittersback to top
- William Chillingworth (1602-1644), Theologian. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- John Locke (1632-1704), Philosopher. Sitter in 36 portraits. Identify
- Anthony Ashley-Cooper, 3rd Earl of Shaftesbury (1671-1713), Philosopher and writer on the fine arts. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- William Wollaston (1660-1724), Philosopher. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Francis Kyte (active 1710-died 1744), Engraver and portrait painter. Artist associated with 33 portraits.
Events of 1725back to top
Current affairsNotorious 'Thief Taker General' Jonathan Wild is hanged at Tyburn. He ran one of the most successful gangs of thieves of the era, while appearing to be the nation's leading policeman.
Pardoned Jacobite leader Henry St John, 1st Viscount Bolingbroke forms an opposition to the Prime Minister Robert Walpole.
Order of the Bath is founded by King George I.
Art and sciencePoet Alexander Pope produces a new edition of Shakespeare, which he rewrites and edits in numerous places.
Philosopher Francis Hutcheson publishes his first major work An Inquiry into the Original of our Ideas of Beauty and Virtue, published in two treatises concerning aesthetics and morality.
InternationalRussian tsar Peter the Great dies.
Treaty of Hanover between England, France and Prussia.
Composer Antonio Vivaldi debuts the set of violin concertos known as The Four Seasons.
Composer Johann Sebastian Bach debuts his Easter Oratorio in Leipzig.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.