A Lido Reflection
A Lido Reflection
by Anthony Wysard
pen and wash, 1930
9 3/4 in. x 9 in. (248 mm x 228 mm) sight
Sittersback to top
- Iya (née de Gay), Lady Abdy (1897-1993), Socialite; first wife of Sir Robert Abdy, 5th Bt; daughter of George de Gay. Sitter associated with 5 portraits. Identify
- Baroness (Marie Rose Antoinette) Catherine d'Erlanger (née de Robert d'Aqueria) (1874-1959), Society hostess; wife of Baron Emile d'Erlanger. Sitter associated with 118 portraits, Artist associated with 25 portraits. Identify
- Baba d'Erlanger, Princesse Jean-Louis de Faucigny-Lucinge (1901-1945), Daughter of Baroness Catherine d'Erlanger. Sitter associated with 18 portraits. Identify
- Serge Lifar (1905-1986), Dancer and choreographer. Sitter associated with 4 portraits. Identify
- Elsa Maxwell (1883-1963), Society hostess. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Anthony Wysard (1907-1984), Caricaturist. Artist associated with 58 portraits, Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1930back to top
Current affairsAmy Johnson is the first woman to fly solo to Australia. She flew the 11,000 miles from Croydon to Darwin in a De Havilland Gipsy Moth named Jason and won the Harmon Trophy as well as a CBE for her achievement. She went on to break a number of other flying records, and died while serving in the Air Transport Auxiliary in 1941.
Art and scienceNoel Coward's play, Private Lives is first performed. The original run starred Gertrude Lawrence and Laurence Olivier as well as Coward himself. Private Lives became Coward's most enduringly successful play.
InternationalGandhi leads the Salt March. The march to the coast was a direct protest against the British monopoly on the sale of salt and inspired hordes of Indians to follow him and adopt his methods of Satyagraha (non-violent resistance to the British rule of India).
Stalin orders the 'liquidation of the kulaks (wealthy farmers) as a class' in a violent attempt to centralise control of agriculture and collectivise farming.