14 of 18 portraits of Frederick Delius
by Elliott & Fry
half-plate glass negative, 1920s
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist or producer associated with 10998 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This photograph was probably taken on Delius's visit to London in 1923, by which time he was much fêted. His health deteriorated rapidly from this time and he relied on his assistant Eric Fenby to help him compose in his later years.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Great British Composers: From Elgar to Adès (27 April 2010 - 12 December 2010)
Events of 1920back to top
Current affairsThe Government of Ireland Act (Fourth Home Rule Bill) partitions Ireland into the Irish Free State with a devolved parliament in Dublin and Northern Ireland with a devolved parliament in Belfast.
The Communist Party of Great Britain is founded in London, uniting a number of independent socialist and Marxist parties into a single, united party.
Art and scienceQueen Alexandra unveils a monument to Edith Cavell in St Martin's Place opposite the National Portrait Gallery. The English nurse was executed in Germany for helping hundreds of allied soldiers to cross the border from occupied Belgium to the neutral Netherlands.
George V officially opens the Imperial War Museum at the Crystal Palace.
InternationalThe Kapp Putsch threatens the newly formed Weimar Republic. In defiance of the Treaty of Versailles, the leaders of the Marinebrigade Ehrhardt refused to disband and marched on Berlin, occupying it on the 13th March. With the general army refusing to defend the city, the government fled to Stuttgart. The rebellion, however, failed after the workers joined a general strike, disabling their plans.
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Frederick Delius <> Harriet Cohen
- Only Connect - Frederic Delius <> Yehudi Menuhin
- Only Connect - installation video
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Lives and Letters
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Herbert Morrison: The Cockney Socialist
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rebel women
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970