Dame Millicent Fawcett
14 of 14 portraits of Dame Millicent Fawcett
Dame Millicent Fawcett
by Elliott & Fry
half-plate negative, 1910s
Sitterback to top
- Dame Millicent Garrett Fawcett (née Garrett) (1847-1929), Leader of the constitutional women's suffrage movement and author. Sitter in 14 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist or producer associated with 10998 portraits.
Events of 1910back to top
Current affairsGeorge V succeeds Edward VII to the throne.
The Liberals win narrow victories after calling two General Elections following escalating tension between the Liberal administration and the Lords reached crisis point with the Lords' unprecedented rejection of Lloyd George's 1909 budget. The budget included tax reform intended to fund social reform and a rearmament programme, but was seen by the Conservative Lords as an assault on property.
Art and scienceThe critic and Bloomsbury group member Roger Fry curates a ground-breaking and, at the time, shocking exhibition in London's Grafton Galleries, Manet and the Post-Impressionists. The exhibition introduces the work of contemporary European artists to the London art establishment, including Manet, Cezanne, Gaugin and Van Gogh, and Fry became a champion of modern art, coining the term 'Post-Impressionism'.
InternationalJapan annexes Korea as a colony, an indication of Japan's ambitious imperialist aims and attempts to control trade and influence in East Asia. Japanese occupation of Korea lasted until 1945, after Japan surrendered to the Allied forces at the end of the Second World War and Korea was divided in two by the United States and the Soviet Union.
- Rebel women
- Hold Still: explore our Collection
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Lives and Letters
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Herbert Morrison: The Cockney Socialist
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970