Sir Donald Richard Allen
2 of 2 portraits of Sir Donald Richard Allen
Sir Donald Richard Allen
by Elliott & Fry
bromide print, 1957
6 1/4 in. x 4 5/8 in. (160 mm x 117 mm) overall
Sitterback to top
- Sir Donald Richard Allen (1894-1983), Clerk to Trustees of London Parochial Charities. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10995 portraits.
Events of 1957back to top
Current affairsHarold Macmillan takes over as Conservative prime minister, manoeuvring Eden out of power after his poor handling of the Suez Crisis the previous year.
The Wolfenden Report recommends that homosexuality should no longer be a criminal offence. It still took ten years, however, before any changes were made to the law on homosexuality with the Sexual Offences Act in 1967.
Art and scienceThe Today Programme is first broadcast on Radio 4. This early morning current affairs programme is known for breaking major stories early, and for its hard-hitting approach and touch interviewing style. Presenters have included: Robert Robinson, Brian Redhead, Libby Purves, Jenni Murray, Sue MacGregor, John Humphrys, Anna Ford and James Naughtie.
InternationalThe Treaty of Rome leads to the formation of the European Economic Community. Officially beginning on 1st January 1958, the EEC established a European Common Market, where goods, services, labour and capital could move freely within the European member countries, and shared policies were agreed for labour, social welfare, agriculture, transport, and foreign trade. The EEC preceded the European Community, and the European Union.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Lives and Letters
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rebel women
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints