- Extended catalogue entry
© National Portrait Gallery, London
Regency Portraits Catalogue
by Unknown artist
8 1/2 in. x 7 in. (216 mm x 178 mm)
This portraitback to top
Date and artist uncertain but apparently a few years older than in J. R. Smith's portrait engraved by Bartolozzi in 1801.
Physical descriptionback to top
Half-length seated to right aged about 40, sandy hair, hazel eyes, thin unsmiling lips, round head; black coat, buff waistcoat, cream shirt and neckcloth, rings on little finger of left hand; plain brown scumbled background.
Provenanceback to top
Bought from George Lane 1935.
This extended catalogue entry is from the out-of-print National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue: Richard Walker, Regency Portraits, National Portrait Gallery, 1985, and is as published then. For the most up-to-date details on individual Collection works, we recommend reading the information provided in the Search the Collection results on this website in parallel with this text.
View all known portraits for William Cobbett
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs