- Extended catalogue entry
© National Portrait Gallery, London
Regency Portraits Catalogue
by Unknown artist
8 1/2 in. x 7 in. (216 mm x 178 mm)
This portraitback to top
Date and artist uncertain but apparently a few years older than in J. R. Smith's portrait engraved by Bartolozzi in 1801.
Physical descriptionback to top
Half-length seated to right aged about 40, sandy hair, hazel eyes, thin unsmiling lips, round head; black coat, buff waistcoat, cream shirt and neckcloth, rings on little finger of left hand; plain brown scumbled background.
Provenanceback to top
Bought from George Lane 1935.
This extended catalogue entry is from the out-of-print National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue: Richard Walker, Regency Portraits, National Portrait Gallery, 1985, and is as published then. For the most up-to-date details on individual Collection works, we recommend reading the information provided in the Search the Collection results on this website in parallel with this text.
View all known portraits for William Cobbett
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare