1 portrait of Richard Cosway
- Extended catalogue entry
Mid-Georgian Portraits Catalogue
after Richard Cosway
based on a work of circa 1790
6 1/8 in. x 5 1/4 in. (156 mm x 133 mm) oval
This portraitback to top
Apparently a contemporary version of NPG 304, but not by Cosway himself; it differs in detail, principally in the hair and the more dramatic lighting of the head.
Physical descriptionback to top
Clear brown eyes, grey powdered hair, wearing a grey coat with gold buttons and a white waistcoat; there is a thin yellow line round the image and the surround is painted black.
Provenanceback to top
Presented by Heber Mardon 1912.
This extended catalogue entry is from the out-of-print National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue: John Ingamells, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, National Portrait Gallery, 2004, and is as published then. For the most up-to-date details on individual Collection works, we recommend reading the information provided in the Search the Collection results on this website in parallel with this text.
View all known portraits for Richard Cosway
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Maria Cosway
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Ludwig Van Beethoven
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Thomas Jefferson
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Horatio Nelson