2 of 33 portraits of George Cruikshank
- Extended catalogue entry
Early Victorian Portraits Catalogue
by Unknown artist
13 in. x 10 3/4 in. (330 mm x 273 mm)
This portraitback to top
The early history of this picture is unknown, but it almost certainly represents Cruikshank, in Vandyck costume. The date '1836' was given to the picture when it first arrived in the collection, but the reasons for this are not now known. Possibly there was a label on the back which is now lost, or the vendor may herself have supplied the information. The date would, however, agree with Cruikshank's apparent age in the portrait.
Physical descriptionback to top
Brown eyes, dark brown hair and beard. Dressed in a brown costume with white lace collar and cuffs, black cloak. Red curtain behind at left. Rest of background muddy brown.
Provenanceback to top
Mrs Mary Bell, purchased from her, 1904.
Exhibitionsback to top
Charles Dickens, Victoria and Albert Museum, 1970 (C9), reproduced in catalogue.
This extended catalogue entry is from the out-of-print National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue: Richard Ormond, Early Victorian Portraits, Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1973, and is as published then. For the most up-to-date details on individual Collection works, we recommend reading the information provided in the Search the Collection results on this website in parallel with this text.
View all known portraits for George Cruikshank
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 1 December
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Burdett-Coutts
25 March, 12:30