Charles James Fox
- Extended catalogue entry
Mid-Georgian Portraits Catalogue
Charles James Fox
by Unknown artist
6 1/4 in. x 4 1/4 in. (159 mm x 114 mm)
Inscriptionback to top
Inscribed bottom right in blue: Mr Fox.
This portraitback to top
NPG 1310a and b, suggesting a benign and forceful Fox, are doubtless by the same hand. The inscriptions appear to be written by different hands.
Physical descriptionback to top
White hair, wearing a blue coat.
Provenanceback to top
Presented by the Hon Philip Stanhope (later Lord Weardale) 1902.
Exhibitionsback to top
Bicentennial Center Opening, Yorktown, Va., 1976.
This extended catalogue entry is from the out-of-print National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue: John Ingamells, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, National Portrait Gallery, 2004, and is as published then. For the most up-to-date details on individual Collection works, we recommend reading the information provided in the Search the Collection results on this website in parallel with this text.
View all known portraits for Charles James Fox
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare