Sir Thomas Lawrence
5 of 30 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Death masks'
- Extended catalogue entry
Regency Portraits Catalogue
Sir Thomas Lawrence
by Unknown artist
17 1/2 in. x 12 3/8 in. (445 mm x 315 mm)
This portraitback to top
Lawrence's death is described in some detail in Williams's biography where no mention is made
of a mask, but it is said that it was made by E. H. Baily immediately after death (Laurence Hutton, Portraits in Plaster, 1894, pp 141-2). Allowing for some artistic latitude the resemblance to Baily's marble bust (NPG 239) is certainly very close.
Physical descriptionback to top
Plaster cast, the head resting on a pillow.
Provenanceback to top
Given in 1911 by the Misses Keightley, daughters of Archibald Keightley, Lawrence's sole executor.
This extended catalogue entry is from the out-of-print National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue: Richard Walker, Regency Portraits, National Portrait Gallery, 1985, and is as published then. For the most up-to-date details on individual Collection works, we recommend reading the information provided in the Search the Collection results on this website in parallel with this text.
View all known portraits for Sir Thomas Lawrence
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Regency familiar faces
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare