- Extended catalogue entry
Regency Portraits Catalogue
after Franz Thaller, after Matthias Ranson
based on a work from probably the 19th century
9 in. (229 mm) high
Physical descriptionback to top
White plaster squeeze painted as terracotta, of the face from the marble bust in the National Maritime Museum, see NPG 2668.
Provenanceback to top
Lady Laura Douglas sale Christie's 7 March 1935 (14), bought Leggatt on behalf of the NPG Reference Collection.
This extended catalogue entry is from the out-of-print National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue: Richard Walker, Regency Portraits, National Portrait Gallery, 1985, and is as published then. For the most up-to-date details on individual Collection works, we recommend reading the information provided in the Search the Collection results on this website in parallel with this text.
View all known portraits for Horatio Nelson, Viscount Nelson
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- My Favourite Portrait by Alan Titchmarsh
- Viscount Nelson
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Plaster figure makers: a short history
- Adopt a Portrait