- Extended catalogue entry
Early Victorian Portraits Catalogue
by Sir Francis Leggatt Chantrey
19 1/2 in. x 17 1/4 in. (495 mm x 438 mm)
Provenanceback to top
The artist, presented by the widow of one of his executors, Mrs George Jones, 1871.
This extended catalogue entry is from the out-of-print National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue: Richard Ormond, Early Victorian Portraits, Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1973, and is as published then. For the most up-to-date details on individual Collection works, we recommend reading the information provided in the Search the Collection results on this website in parallel with this text.
View all known portraits for Sir Francis Leggatt Chantrey
View all known portraits for Queen Victoria
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Queen Victoria Trail
- Prince Albert Trail