- Extended catalogue entry
Mid-Georgian Portraits Catalogue
by Unknown artist
2 1/4 in. (57 mm) diameter
Inscriptionback to top
Obverse inscribed: JOHN WILKES.ESQ.
Reverse inscribed: 45/NORTH/BRITON/MAGNA/CHARTA and in the exergue: IN MEMORY OF THE YEAR/MDCCLXVIII.
This portraitback to top
A crude likeness, presumably derived from an engraving after R. E. Pine. One of thirteen medals marking Wilkes’s triumphal election for the County of Middlesex in April 1768 (see L. Brown, A Catalogue of British Historical Medals 1760-1960: The Accession of George III to the Death of William IV, 1980, nos.113-25).
Referenceback to top
L. Brown, A Catalogue of British Historical Medals 1760-1960: The Accession of George III to the Death of William IV, 1980, no.117.
Provenanceback to top
Purchased from Spink 1913.
This extended catalogue entry is from the out-of-print National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue: John Ingamells, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, National Portrait Gallery, 2004, and is as published then. For the most up-to-date details on individual Collection works, we recommend reading the information provided in the Search the Collection results on this website in parallel with this text.
View all known portraits for John Wilkes
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs