American Friends of the National Portrait Gallery aims to encourage appreciation and understanding of the art of portraiture through support of the activities of the National Portrait Gallery in London, and its collaboration with American arts and academic institutions. This support is intended to broaden awareness of the National Portrait Gallery’s collections and its activities in the United States, recognize the interest of U.S citizens in these activities, and strengthen appreciation of U.S. and British citizens’ common artistic heritage.
Join as a Patron
If you are a US citizen and would like to support the Gallery as a Patron, giving to American Friends of the National Portrait Gallery is a tax-effective way of donating. It is a 501(c)(3) registered charity, so you could receive a favourable tax deduction on your gift.
As an American Patron you will enjoy the same benefits as UK Patrons, as well as the chance to attend occasional US based National Portrait Gallery events. American Patrons are encouraged to enjoy special opportunities when visiting London, so please do let us know the dates of your visit.
The National Portrait Gallery on tour
The National Portrait Gallery holds one of the world’s largest collections of portraits, and regularly loans work to arts institutions across the globe for temporary displays and special exhibitions.
Critically acclaimed National Portrait Gallery exhibitions travel to some of the most celebrated museums and galleries in the United States:
- Searching for Shakespeare (Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT) 2006
- David Hockney Portraits (Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and LACMA: Los Angeles County Museum of Art) 2007
- Great Britons: Treasures from the National Portrait Gallery London (National Portrait Gallery, Washington) 2008
- Vanity Fair Portraits: Photographs 1914-2007 (LACMA: Los Angeles County Museum of Art)
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency, Power and Brilliance (Yale Center for British Art, New Haven)
- Lucian Freud Portraits (The Modern Art Museum, Fort Worth) 2012
- Sargent: Portraits of Artists and Friends (The Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art, New York) 2015
- Cézanne Portraits is now open until 1 July 2018 at the National Gallery of Art, Washington DC
How to Donate
If you would like to become a Patron and give your donation online to the American Friends of the National Portrait Gallery, or to make a general donation in US dollars, please click here.
For further information about contributing by check, wire, or in stock, please download our further information leaflet.
If you are considering remembering American Friends of the National Portrait Gallery in your will, or would like to donate a work of art, please contact us for guidance prior to formalising any arrangements.
For further information please contact
020 7321 6644
Board Members of the American Friends
Margaret Conklin – President
John H Biggs
Linn Cary Mehta
Gavin F Leckie