Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit (née Sarup Kumari Nehru)
by Bassano Ltd
Past display archive
14 September 2002 - 23 March 2003
Rooms 23 & 31
Edward VII was crowned King in August 1902, following the death of Queen Victoria the previous year. The coronation was seen as an opportunity for distant monarchs to come to the imperial capital to pay tribute, and was marked by a ceremonial procession that included colonial troops as well as prestigious individuals from all over the empire. One visitor, the Maharaja of Jaipur, charted a ship to carry the 125 of his officers and attendants who accompanied him to London.
The writer Jack London, depicted the Coronation Day procession in his book about London People of the Abyss, (1903) :
"Here they come, in all the pomp and certitude of power, and still they come, these men of steel, these war lords and world harnessers. Pell-mell, peers and commoners, princes and maharajahs, Equerries to the King and Yeomen of the Guard. And here the colonials, lithe and hardy men; and here all the breeds of all the world-soldiers from Canada, Australia, New Zealand; from Bermuda, Borneo, Fiji, and the Gold Coast; from Rhodesia, Cape Colony, Natal, Sierra Leone and Gambia, Nigeria and Uganda; from Ceylon, Cyprus, Hong-Kong, Jamaica, and Wei-Hai-Wei; from Lagos, Malta, St Lucia, Singapore, Trinidad."
A number of visitors to the coronation were photographed by Sir Benjamin Stone, Conservative MP for Birmingham East and a keen amateur photographer.
To mark Black History Month in September and October 2002 there is a range of talks and events exploring issues of Black and Asian representation. Ask at the Information Desk for more information.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Indira Devi, Maharani of Cooch Behar (NPG P870(2))
- James Theodore Holly (NPG x125352)
- Isaac Oluwole (NPG x125150)
- 'Native Indian Officers, Imperial Service Troops, attending the Coronation of King Edward VII' (NPG x125430)
- Four Hausa Gun Carriers of the South Nigerian Regiment (NPG x125431)
- 'Sergeant and three Privates of the King's African Rifles' (NPG x125434)
- 'Indian Military Representatives Attending the Coronation of King Edward VII' (NPG x125432)
- Rai Bahadur Gagan Chandra Rai (NPG x36468)
- 'Visit of Basuto Chiefs to the House of Commons' (NPG x30033)
- Adolphus Williamson Howells (NPG x125149)
- Thomas Charles John (NPG x125353)
- Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit (née Sarup Kumari Nehru) (NPG x84424)