The Face of Monarchy
Queen Elizabeth II
by Yousuf Karsh
Past display archive
11 February - 6 September 2006
This display celebrates the eightieth birthday of Her Majesty The Queen who was born on 21 April 1926. Selected from the National Portrait Gallery's extensive holdings of Royal portraits, it surveys the surprising diversity of ways in which the Queen has been portrayed during the course of her life and reign.
The selection commences with portraits of the young Elizabeth, photographed by Marcus Adams in c.1929 and c.1939. The relaxed, spontaneous character of Adams's images departed from the formality of earlier portraits of the Royal family. Yousuf Karsh's 1944 photograph of the future monarch, released on the occasion of her eighteenth birthday, continued the trend towards increasing informality. It contrasts with the regal character of his 1951 photograph taken the year before the coronation. The photographs taken by Dorothy Wilding in1952 move between these two extremes. In depicting the newly crowned Queen wearing gowns designed by Norman Hartnell, Wilding invested formality with an unmistakeable sense of glamour.
More recent images of the Queen demonstrate an ever-widening response to the idea of monarchy. Pietro Annigoni's magisterial portrait of 1969 was startlingly different from his previous, romantic view. In the 1980s the American Pop artist Andy Warhol presented the Queen as a colourful celebrity. The 1999 portrait by Hiroshi Sugimoto is among the strangest representations of Royalty. A photograph of a wax likeness, it engages directly with the complexities of creating an image of monarchy.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Queen Elizabeth II; Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (NPG P140(10))
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG P140(20))
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG P336)
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG 4830)
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG P1002)
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG x34852)
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG x34840)
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG x34841)
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG x34847)
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG x34846)
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG x125106)
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG 5882(1))
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG 5882(2))
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG 5882(3))
- Queen Elizabeth II (NPG 5882(4))