Alexandra of Denmark
Queen Alexandra; Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife
by W. & D. Downey
Past display archive
28 September 2007 - 13 January 2008
Room 29 wallcase
'Her voice, her walk, carriage and manner are perfect, she is one of the most ladylike and aristocratic looking people I ever saw!'
Victoria, Princess Royal to her mother, Queen Victoria, 1862
Alexandra of Denmark was fifth on a list of seven princesses selected as possible brides for the Albert Edward, Prince of Wales and future Edward VII, known to his family as 'Bertie'. Although less eligible than her rivals, Alexandra's beauty eclipsed her competition as it was hoped an attractive wife would curb the prince's wayward behaviour. The wedding was a muted affair, coming in the midst of mourning for Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert. The queen's good wishes for her son and his bride were tinged with her own feelings of loss: ' Here I sit, lonely and desolate, and Bertie has taken his lovely, pure, sweet Bride to Osborne, such a jewel whom he is indeed lucky to have obtained. How I pray God may ever bless them! '
Alexandra brought glamour to the sombre royal family, and the new couple became the focus of high society. The advent of photography and illustrated magazines meant that images of the stylish princess were in high demand; her clothes and hairstyles were widely copied. Portraits of Alexandra fulfilling various roles, as royal consort, leader of fashion, devoted mother and patron of charities, created a blueprint for images of modern royal women, in particular Diana, Princess of Wales.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Queen Alexandra (NPG P659)
- Queen Alexandra; King Edward VII (NPG Ax38287)
- Queen Alexandra (NPG x32933)
- King Edward VII and his family (NPG Ax24163)
- Queen Alexandra; Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife (NPG x22090)
- Queen Alexandra (NPG x38386)
- Maud, Queen of Norway; Queen Alexandra (NPG Ax24184)
- Maud, Queen of Norway; Queen Alexandra (NPG Ax38290)
- Alexandra of Denmark with her children (NPG x131190)
- Queen Alexandra (NPG x29180)
- Alexandra of Denmark with her coronation pages (NPG x33258)
- Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale
- Queen Alexandra
- Erik James Desmond Alexander, 5th Earl of Caledon
- Frederick William Burton Conyngham, 6th Marquess Conyngham
- King Edward VII
- King George V
- Maurice FitzGerald, 6th Duke of Leinster
- Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife
- Maud, Queen of Norway
- Lionel Arthur Henry Seymour Dawson-Damer, 6th Earl of Portarlington
- Arthur Herbert Tennyson Somers Cocks, 6th Baron Somers
- George Francis Augustus Venables-Vernon, 8th Baron Vernon
- Princess Victoria of Wales