Modern Muses by Bryan Adams
Past exhibition archive
13 March - 15 June 2008
by Bryan Adams, 2007
© Bryan Adams
Sponsored by Blackberry
Historically, the term 'muse' refers to the Greek goddesses who represent the arts and inspire the processes of creation. The twenty-one subjects chosen as Modern Muses are a selection of outstanding women from different fields of achievement including the arts, charities and business photographed at differing points in their careers.
The selection of sitters was made by BlackBerry® and the National Portrait Gallery together with the photographer, Bryan Adams.
Canadian-born Adams has established himself as a leading photographer after many years as a successful rock singer and recording artist. He published a book of portrait photography for Calvin Klein called American Women (2005) and has had his work published in magazines such as i-D, British Vogue and Vanity Fair.
The Modern Muses portraits were commissioned by BlackBerry, sponsors of the National Portrait Gallery exhibition, Brilliant Women: 18th-Century Bluestockings (13 March-15 June 2008). They are a fitting contemporary adjunct to the independent minded, creative professionals celebrated in the portraits created over two centuries earlier.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Amma Asante (NPG x131966)
- Carole Gray (née Whitt), Lady Bamford (NPG x131967)
- Dame Carol Mary Black (NPG x131968)
- Darcey Bussell (NPG x131969)
- Sadie Coles (NPG x131970)
- Marie Colvin (NPG x131971)
- Judi Dench (NPG x131972)
- Anne-Marie Duff (NPG x131973)
- Charmaine Bridgette Eggberry (NPG x131974)
- Scilla Elworthy (NPG x131975)
- Dame Zaha Hadid (NPG x131976)
- Sarah Hogg, Viscountess Hailsham (NPG x131977)
- Irene Zubaida Khan (NPG x131978)
- Kanya King (NPG x131979)
- Annie Lennox (NPG x131980)
- Virginia McKenna (NPG x131981)
- Annie Morris (NPG x131982)
- Hon. Hilary Mary Weston (NPG x131985)
- Dame Vivienne Westwood (NPG x131986)
- Erin O'Connor (NPG x131983)
- Tilda Swinton (NPG x131984)
- Amma Asante
- Carole Gray (née Whitt), Lady Bamford
- Dame Carol Mary Black
- Darcey Andrea Bussell
- Sadie Coles
- Marie Colvin
- Dame Judith Olivia ('Judi') Dench
- Anne-Marie Duff
- Charmaine Bridgette Eggberry
- Scilla Elworthy
- Dame Zaha Mohammad Hadid
- Sarah Elizabeth Mary Hogg (née Boyd-Carpenter), Viscountess Hailsham
- Irene Zubaida Khan
- Kanya King
- Annie Lennox
- Virginia Anne McKenna
- Annie Morris
- Erin O'Connor
- Tilda Swinton (Katherine Matilda Swinton)
- Hon. Hilary Mary Weston
- Dame Vivienne Isabel Westwood