Sporting Lives: Contemporary Portraits of Athletes and Olympians
Past display archive
12 July 2007 - 11 January 2009
Six British Paralympic Athletes
by John Lessore
In August 2008, London becomes the official host of the 2012 Olympic Games. This display brings together a selection of great British sportsmen and women of recent years, many of whom have won medals at previous Olympics and Paralympics and some are preparing for the Beijing Games this summer.
This display includes three portraits created in 'time-based media' meaning works of art that depend on technology and the passing of time. These portraits are Duncan Goodhew by Marty St. James and Anne Wilson, David by Sam Taylor-Wood and Sustained Endeavour by Dryden Goodwin.
Duncan Goodhew is the earliest work in this display that uses film. Created for the Gallery in 1991, it showcases the dynamic movement of the swimmer as he dives into the water. In contrast, Taylor-Wood's film David is an intensely intimate portrait of the footballer David Beckham, filmed as he slept after a training session. The artist wanted to show a different side to Beckham, away from the pitch and his glamorous public-image.
The artist Dryden Goodwin animated twenty-five drawings on a continuous loop for Sustained Endeavour,a portrait of the rower and Britain's greatest Olympian, Sir Steve Redgrave. Redgrave is not depicted rowing, but the flickering nature of the film suggests a shimmering reflection in water. This group provides a fascinating insight into the way in which contemporary artists working in new media have approached the representation of sportspeople.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Six British Paralympic Athletes (NPG 6669)
- Denise Lewis (NPG x125009)
- Paula Radcliffe (NPG x126070)
- Fiona MacDonald; Janice Rankin; Rhona Martin; Debbie Knox; Margaret Morton (NPG x125682)
- British cycling squad (NPG x126463)
- Marlon Devonish (NPG x126457)
- Tushar Patel (NPG x126458)
- Amir Khan (NPG x126459)
- Kelly Holmes (NPG x128143)
- David Beckham ('David') (NPG 6661)
- Caroline Jane Baird (née Innes)
- David Robert Joseph Beckham
- Marlon Devonish
- Carys Davina ('Tanni') Grey-Thompson, Baroness Grey-Thompson
- Robert John ('Rob') Hayles
- Christopher ('Chris') Holmes
- Dame Kelly Holmes
- Sir Christopher Andrew ('Chris') Hoy
- Simon Louis Jackson
- Amir Khan
- Debbie Knox
- Denise Lewis
- Fiona MacDonald
- Margaret McIntosh ('Maggie') McEleny
- Craig MacLean
- Paul Manning
- Rhona Martin
- Margaret Morton
- Chris Newton
- Tushar Patel
- Paula Radcliffe
- Janice Rankin
- Sir Steven Geoffrey Redgrave
- Bryan Steel
- Noel Thatcher