Caricatures by Edwin Landseer
Past display archive
16 November 2009 - 23 May 2010
Room 24 case display
by Edwin Landseer
Landseer’s caricatures are a less well-known aspect of his art. They were made for private purposing this display were originally owned by Charles Bennet, 6th Earl of Tankerville, a firm friend of Landseer and frequent host to the artist. These caricatures show Landseer’s seemingly effortless ability to capture the physical oddities of his subjects. They are acute yet affectionate, showing figures from the aristocratic and cultural circles in which Landseer moved and form a witty record of some of the great personalities of his time.
This display coincides with the publication of Edwin Landseer –The Private Drawings by Richard Ormond. Available in the Gallery bookshop priced £25.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Henry William Pickersgill (NPG 3097(1))
- Joseph Boruwlaski (NPG 3097(8))
- Duchess of Cannizzaro (NPG 3097(5))
- George Capell-Coningsby, 5th Earl of Essex (NPG 3097(6))
- William George Spencer Cavendish, 6th Duke of Devonshire (NPG 4916)
- Elizabeth Vassall Fox (née Vassall), Lady Holland; Henry Richard Fox (later Vassall), 3rd Baron Holland; Mrs Brown (NPG 4914)
- General Phipps, Mrs Norton and 2nd Baron Alvanley at the theatre (NPG 4918)
- Samuel Rogers (NPG 4919)
- Samuel Rogers (NPG 4920)
- Sydney Smith (NPG 4917)
- William Makepeace Thackeray (NPG 3925)
- William Arden, 2nd Baron Alvanley
- Joseph Boruwlaski
- Mrs Brown
- Duchess of Cannizzaro
- William George Spencer Cavendish, 6th Duke of Devonshire
- George Capell-Coningsby, 5th Earl of Essex
- Henry Richard Fox (later Vassall), 3rd Baron Holland
- Elizabeth Vassall Fox (née Vassall), Lady Holland (formerly Webster)
- Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Norton (née Sheridan, later Lady Stirling-Maxwell)
- Edmund Phipps
- Henry William Pickersgill
- Samuel Rogers
- Sydney Smith
- William Makepeace Thackeray