Past display archive
16 January - 12 September 2010
by Stuart Pearson Wright
Two of Britain’s most renowned draughtsmen, David Hockney and Frank Auerbach, are represented alongside younger artists, including Stuart Pearson-Wright. This display also includes four new acquisitions; two large conté pencil drawings of the writers Michael Holroyd and Sebastian Faulks by Matthew Carr, and portraits of the actor Antony Sher by Andrew Ratcliffe and the late philosopher Peter Strawson by Ishbel Myerscough; both works in pencil demonstrate the particular intimacy of portrait drawing.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Sir Harrison Birtwistle (NPG 6256)
- Frank Auerbach (NPG 6611)
- Ken Loach (NPG 6452)
- Antony Sher (NPG 6883)
- Philip Mark Jones (NPG 6536)
- Sir Henry Neville Lindley Keswick (NPG 6602)
- Stephen Conroy (NPG 6639)
- Drue Heinz (NPG 6683)
- Parminder Nagra (NPG 6754)
- Sir Peter Frederick Strawson (NPG 6844)
- Sebastian Faulks (NPG 6846)
- Sir Michael Holroyd (NPG 6850)
- Celia Paul (NPG D32159)