First Exposure: Photographs 1961-2010
Past display archive
22 June - 18 November 2012
by Dick Barnatt
The National Portrait Gallery is a visual reflection of British life and culture. Every year the Gallery acquires a diverse selection of photographs.
This selection of prints, shown here for the first time, represents a much larger group of images acquired in recent years. The sitters included in this display are drawn from the worlds of religion, fashion, dance, media and classic and contemporary pop music.
The photographers represented in this display range from those who emerged in the 1960s including Peter Akehurst, Jurgen Schadeberg and Eric Swayne to twenty-first century practitioners such as Ellen Nolan and Abigail Zoe Martin.
Subjects range from Grace Coddington, now the creative director of American Vogue magazine who is shown at the very beginning of her career. Two images from a portfolio of five iconic images show the rock legend, Jimmy Page, at key moments during his continuing career.
Contrasting locations include one of the fashionable venues of 1960s Swinging London, The Playboy Club on Park Lane to the historic setting of the Deanery of Westminster Abbey, the setting for the 2004 portrait of Wesley Carr.
Other recent photographic acquisitions can be explored through the New Portraits page.
© National Portrait Gallery, London
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Jacqueline Bisset (NPG x135474)
- Grace Coddington (NPG x135729)
- Chrissie Shrimpton (NPG x134608)
- Kenny Lynch (NPG x136285)
- Pattie Boyd (NPG x135475)
- Victor Aubrey Lownes (NPG x136284)
- Jimmy Page (NPG x135917)
- Dame Vivienne Westwood; Joseph Corré (NPG x136302)
- Ian McKellen (NPG x136369)
- Tom Jones (NPG x33999)
- Sylvie Guillem (NPG x136303)
- Luella Bartley (NPG x135702)
- Eley Kishimoto (Wakako Kishimoto; Mark Eley) (NPG x135704)
- Wesley Carr (NPG x136368)
- Melvyn Bragg (NPG x136208)
- Kirsty Young (NPG x136367)
- Jimmy Page (NPG x135919)
- Gary Kemp (NPG x135909)
- Luella Bartley
- Jacqueline Bisset
- Patricia Ann ('Pattie') Boyd
- Melvyn Bragg, Baron Bragg
- (Arthur) Wesley Carr
- Grace Coddington
- Joseph Corré
- Mark Eley
- Sylvie Guillem
- Sir Tom Jones (Thomas Jones Woodward)
- Gary Kemp
- Wakako Kishimoto
- Victor Aubrey Lownes
- Kenny Lynch
- Sir Ian Murray McKellen
- James Patrick ('Jimmy') Page
- Chrissie Shrimpton
- Dame Vivienne Isabel Westwood
- Kirsty Young