Spotlight on Peter Rand
Past display archive
17 April - 16 September 2012
by Peter Rand
27 June 1968
This display celebrates the recent acquisition of a group of sixteen photographs by Vogue photographer Peter Rand, and the recent publication of The Day of the Peacock: Style for Men 1963-1973 (2011) which features many of Peter Rand’s fashion photographs.
Born in Dorset, Rand attended Ealing Art and Photographic College, before working as an assistant to Peter Peck at Woburn Studios (1958-9). In 1960, he joined the John French Studios, and in 1962 two of his photographs appeared on the cover of the September and December issues of British Vogue. An editorial contract with Vogue followed, and Rand remained with the magazine until 1970, photographing the leading figures of the 1960s.
This display focuses on ten key works from this period which are exhibited for the first time, and includes photographs of actors Fenella Fielding, Ian Holm, Anna Massey, Sarah Miles with her brother Christopher, Corin Redgrave, Peter Wyngarde, Mike Sarne; playwright Harold Pinter with the cast of The Caretaker, singer Dusty Springfield, and entrepreneur Richard Branson.Peter Randcontinues to specialize in portraiture and fashion photography.
© National Portrait Gallery, London
- Sarah Miles; Christopher Miles (NPG x136002)
- Sir Ian Holm (NPG x136007)
- The Caretaker Group (NPG x136008)
- Mike Sarne (né Michael Scheuer) (NPG x136015)
- Fenella Fielding (NPG x136005)
- Corin William Redgrave (NPG x136004)
- Anna Massey (NPG x136009)
- Sir Richard Branson (NPG x136001)
- Dusty Springfield (NPG x136006)
- Peter Wyngarde (NPG x136011)