Past event archive
14 February - 16 February 2024, 11.00-16.00
Free (fully booked)
Aged 14-18 and interested in photography? Join us for a three-day creative photography project working with artist Oliver McKenzie, which responds to ideas and themes of Taylor Wessing Photo Portrait Prize 2023.
At the National Portrait Gallery, we look after the world’s greatest Collection of portraits. Spanning six centuries, our artworks reveal the inspiring and sometimes surprising personal stories that have shaped, and continue to shape, a nation – from global icons to local champions, national treasures to unsung heroes. Find out more about our Gallery and search the Collection.
This February, we’re welcoming young photographers to the National Portrait Gallery to engage with the most humanistic and personal type of photography – portraiture!
Photographs of ourselves, our friends and family probably make up most of the images on our camera roll. Young people are adept at taking these photographs, being used to capturing them for the purposes of modern, image-centric communication. You, as young people, already possess many of the skills a professional photographer needs – an understanding of composition, instincts about angles and judgements about lighting.
But how often do you reflect on it? This project seeks to bring considerations of process and practice to the forefront of your minds. What choices do we make when we take a photograph? What are the different ways of taking a picture?
Besides that, by attending NPG.png you will have the opportunity to make use of the Gallery’s extensive collection of photographic resources and equipment. We’ll be practising photography just as much as we’ll be talking about it, working towards an exhibition of our own portrait photographs, taken on the streets and squares of London.
As well as taking all the work you’ve made home at the end of the three days, you’ll have the chance to work on your own Zine, too, which will be a reflective visual document of your experience on the project.
NPG.png will involve photographing, talking, sharing, questioning, restarting, creating, collaborating, believing, learning, unlearning, risk taking, mixing and so much more.
By attending NPG.png, you will:
- Gain skills in using a variety of different cameras, lighting and other equipment
- Gain an understanding of the principles of portrait photography, visual storytelling and creative composition
- Explore personal and artistic expression through the medium of photography
- Develop an appreciation for the art of portraiture within the context of the National Portrait Gallery and its Collection
- Develop the ability to work with peers and communicate effectively in a creative environment
- Learn how to curate and prepare photographs for public exhibition, Zine and digital display
- Develop the ability to critically analyse and discuss photographs
- Build connections with creative, like-minded individuals
- Be aged 14-18
- Be able to attend all three days, to get the most out of the project
This project is free to attend and includes all materials and refreshments. On the first day, you will also receive a pack of art materials which is yours to keep. Places are on a first come, first served basis.
For questions and to sign up, please email [email protected].
This event is now fully booked.