Lunchtime Lecture: From Myth to Molten Bronze: making public statues
21 November 2019, 13:15
Ondaatje Wing Theatre
Tickets: £4 (£3 concessions and Gallery Supporters) Book online, or visit the Gallery in person.
- Talks and Lectures
- Buy tickets
Become a Member for as little as £55 and enjoy FREE, unlimited entry to all exhibitions and discounts on ticketed events.
Other benefits include:
• Invitations to Members-only private views
• Discounts in the Portrait Restaurant and Gallery Shops
• Priority booking for special events
• Regular updates and exclusive offers
Photo courtesy of Troika
Immerse yourself in history, art and culture at our popular Lunchtime Lectures. Doors open at 12.45. Lectures begin at 13.15 and last approximately one hour.
For the annual Society of Portrait Sculptors Lecture, Martin Jennings discusses public statues illustrated not only with examples of his own work but also with those of his contemporaries and with examples drawn from sculptural history. He will examine the extent to which they respond to the equal demands of sculptural integrity and relevance both to their sites and to current public discourse. He will look at the role identity politics plays in the selection of subjects and artists and examine the vexed issues around the potential removal of monuments to slave traders and colonialists. Sculptor Marcus Cornish will then discuss the issues raised with him before engaging the audience’s response.
Priority booking for Gallery Members is open now. Public booking will open on Thursday 8 August 2019.
- Lunchtime Lecture: Milein Cosman: Capturing Time with Ines Schlenker
- Lunchtime Lecture: Prince Albert: The Man Who Saved the Monarchy
- Lunchtime Lecture: Shadow King: The Life and Death of Henry VI
- Lunchtime Lecture: Elizabeth I’s Appearance
- Lunchtime Lecture: George Eliot: From “Strong-minded Woman” to Great Novelist
Event ticket queries
Call +44 (0)20 7306 0055