Lunchtime Lecture: Shadow King: The Life and Death of Henry VI
17 October 2019, 13:15
Ondaatje Wing Theatre
Tickets: £4 (£3 concessions and Gallery Supporters) Book online, or visit the Gallery in person.
- Talks and Lectures
- Buy tickets
Become a Member for as little as £55 and enjoy FREE, unlimited entry to all exhibitions and discounts on ticketed events.
Other benefits include:
• Invitations to Members-only private views
• Discounts in the Portrait Restaurant and Gallery Shops
• Priority booking for special events
• Regular updates and exclusive offers
King Henry VI
by Unknown English artist
Immerse yourself in history, art and culture at our popular Lunchtime Lectures. Doors open at 12.45. Lectures begin at 13.15 and last approximately one hour.
Only child of a warrior father who defeated the French at Agincourt, Henry VI of the House of Lancaster inherited the crowns of England and France before his first birthday. And yet, by the time he was murdered in the Tower of London in 1471, France was lost, his throne had been seized by his Yorkist rival, and his kingdom had descended into the violent chaos of the Wars of the Roses. Join historian Lauren Johnson as she tells the remarkable story of Henry's life and death.
Historian Lauren Johnson is the author of Shadow King: The Life and Death of Henry VI, So Great a Prince: England and the Accession of Henry VII and a novel, The Arrow of Sherwood. Lauren will be signing copies of Shadow King in the Gallery's Bookshop following her lecture.
Priority booking for Gallery Members is open now. Public booking will open on Thursday 8 August 2019.
- Lunchtime Lecture: Milein Cosman: Capturing Time with Ines Schlenker
- Lunchtime Lecture: Prince Albert: The Man Who Saved the Monarchy
- Lunchtime Lecture: Elizabeth I’s Appearance
- Lunchtime Lecture: George Eliot: From “Strong-minded Woman” to Great Novelist
- Lunchtime Lecture: From Myth to Molten Bronze: making public statues
Event ticket queries
Call +44 (0)20 7306 0055