Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
Past exhibition archive
7 February - 20 May 2001
by Joseph Gotts, 1828
© Leeds Museums & Galleries (Lotherton Hall)
Despite the ubiquitous presence of the portrait bust and our apparent familiarity with its appearance, this is an art form that seems to have little relevance to us today. The exhibition challenges this neglect and invites visitors to look again at these objects.
Exhibition produced by the
Henry Moore Institute, Leeds
National Portrait Gallery, London & the
Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh
The exhibition catalogue, including essays by Malcolm Baker and John Gage, is available priced £9.99.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham (NPG 6081)
- William Murray, 1st Earl of Mansfield (NPG 172)
- Charles James Fox (NPG 3887)
- John Rennie Sr (NPG 649)
- Benjamin Robert Haydon (NPG 2802)
- Benjamin Robert Haydon (NPG 510)
- James Dunlop (NPG 316a(41))
- Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (NPG 2004)
- Ambrose McEvoy (NPG 2958)
- Sir Osbert Sitwell (NPG 6321)
- Robert Bontine Cunninghame Graham (NPG 4220)
- John Galsworthy (NPG 4208)