Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
by Richard Westall
Past exhibition archive
20 November 2002 - 16 February 2003
A reinterpretation for a new generation, of the continuing fascination of Lord Byron (1788-1824).
Bringing together over 100 works including paintings, photographs, letters, literary manuscripts, memorabilia and examples of Byronic dress, this exhibition explores how Byron's literary fame and social notoriety was fuelled by the many visual representations of the poet. It also examines his influence on leading figures of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries including Oscar Wilde, T.E. Lawrence and W.H Auden as well as the more recent stars of popular culture such as James Dean, Rudolf Valentino and Mick Jagger.
A new biography of Byron by Fiona McCarthy is available, priced £25 hardback.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Lord Byron (NPG 4243)
- Lord Byron (NPG 1367)
- Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield (NPG 3093)
- Lucian Freud (NPG P797(15))
- Martin Amis (NPG P799)
- Bruce Chatwin (NPG P638)
- Giuseppe Mazzini (NPG x20597)
- Giuseppe Mazzini (NPG x20600)
- Oscar Wilde (NPG x82203)
- Christopher Isherwood; W.H. Auden (NPG x15194)
- Kenneth Peacock Tynan (NPG x125500)
- Kenneth Peacock Tynan (NPG x125501)
- Kenneth Peacock Tynan (NPG x125502)
- Ted Hughes (NPG x125272)
- Lord Byron (NPG D9055)
- Lord Byron (NPG D7608)
- Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton (NPG D5154)
- Lord Byron (NPG D2109)
- Heinrich Heine (NPG D13240)
- Alphonse Marie Louise Prat de Lamartine (NPG D13239)
- Martin Louis Amis
- Wystan Hugh ('W.H.') Auden
- Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield
- George Gordon Byron, 6th Baron Byron
- Bruce Chatwin
- Lucian Freud
- Heinrich Heine
- Edward James ('Ted') Hughes
- Christopher William Bradshaw Isherwood
- Alphonse Marie Louise Prat de Lamartine
- Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton
- Giuseppe Mazzini
- Kenneth Peacock Tynan
- Oscar Wilde
- Lorenzo Bartolini
- Caldesi, Blanford & Co
- Noel Chanan
- Louise Dahl-Wolfe
- Samuel Diez
- Elliott & Fry
- Edward Francis Finden
- William Finden
- James Fraser
- James Holmes
- G. Houser
- Ida Kar
- Daniel Maclise
- Henry Meyer
- Thomas Phillips
- Photographische Gesellschaft
- Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon
- Sally Soames
- Unknown photographer
- Richard Westall