Are you 14 - 21 years old? Get involved with free art workshops and attend an exclusive exhibition private view.
Book now for 2019 BP Portrait Award: Next Generation summer workshops and events.
Come to our summer events for 14-21 year olds. All events are free, and all materials are provided.
BP Portrait Award: Next Generation Young People’s Private View
Tues 20 August 2019, 18:30-20:30
Join us for an evening of creativity, music, art and networking - all in one historic venue.
This after-hours event is curated by the Gallery's Youth Forum, a group of passionate young art enthusiasts, who will welcome you and be your hosts. If you’re interested in contemporary art and culture, this is the place to be.
Highlights of the night include:
- A performance by the incredible Theresa Lola. She’s a British Nigerian poet and is currently the Young People's Laureate for London. Last year the Mayor of London Sadiq Khan asked her to read a commissioned poem at the unveiling of the new statue to the suffragette Millicent Fawcett
- Lorna Scobie is Artist in Residence for the night. She’s an amazing London–based illustrator who’ll be capturing the evening and chatting about her work. Speak to her about all things illustration, creating books and how to go professional
- Get your photo taken at the photo-booth. Dress up as famous faces from the Gallery - who will you become?
- Get creative and take part in art workshops lead by contemporary artists. Art materials provided by Cass Arts to be won
- DJ Aliyah Otchere is on the decks. Aliyah is a British photographer and videographer of mixed Ghanaian and Pakistani origin. Aliyah has taken pictures for musical artists such as: Raye, Slowthai, Denzel Curry and Wiki
- Get to experience and take inspiration from our two world-class contemporary art exhibitions - the BP Portrait Award 2019 which showcases the best portraiture from around the world created in the last 12 months and Cindy Sherman, the iconic American photographer who invents fictitious characters, photographing herself in imaginary situations, inhabiting a world of pure appearance.
- Enjoy free mocktails and food
- Take home a free Cass Art goody bag
- Opportunities to get involved with the Gallery and help shape youth participation
All materials kindly donated by Cass Art.
The National Portrait Gallery is committed to protecting your privacy. All personal data provided will be held and processed securely by the Gallery in accordance with the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018. It will only be used to administer your enquiry or booking in accordance with the Gallery’s public task; and will be retained by the Gallery for as long as is necessary to administer your enquiry or booking. Your personal data will not be passed to any third parties. For more information, please refer to the Gallery’s Privacy Notice.
BP Portrait Award: Next Generation 3-day Summer School
13 August - 15 August 2019, 11:00-16:30
Take your art practice to another level. This practical art workshop allows you to spend three-days in the art studio at the Gallery, learning from professional artists and working from a model to create a portrait and learn new skills in composition, lighting and pose. The BP Portrait Award exhibition provides the inspiration and BP award-winning artists will join the school to share their work and thinking with you. All art materials and lunch included.
The three-day summer school at the National Portrait gallery in August was an opportunity to flourish in a creatively stimulating environment. With feedback from the artists, lots of constructive criticism and through communicating with other fellow creatives, my work improved immensely.
Tanya, BP Portrait Award: Next Generation Summer School 2018 participant
Read more about Tanya’s experience of the Summer School here
BP Portrait Award: Next Generation 1-day Art Workshops
Tues 30 July 2019, 11:00-16:00
Weds 31 July 2019, 11:00-16:00
Immerse yourself in a packed day of creativity. Learn from professional artists, discover new skills in life drawing, create your own painting, meet artists and take a tour of the BP portrait Award exhibition. All art materials and lunch included.
Activities will include working from a nude life model. Parent/Guardian permission required for under-18s.