Performance: Chasing the Butterfly: A performance for actors, dancers and oboist
18 January 2019, 19:30
Please check signage on the day for details
Free ticket required. Book online, or visit the Gallery in person
- Friday Lates||Performance
- Buy tickets
Become a Member for as little as £55 and enjoy FREE, unlimited entry to all exhibitions and discounts on ticketed events.
Other benefits include:
• Invitations to Members-only private views
• Discounts in the Portrait Restaurant and Gallery Shops
• Priority booking for special events
• Regular updates and exclusive offers
Gainsborough's adult daughters are living in Acton. The younger, Margaret, is caring for her older sister Mary, who has descended into mental illness following her brief marriage to her father's best friend the celebrated oboist Johann Christian Fischer. They see their happy younger selves as dancers chasing the butterfly (Gainsborough's 1756 painting).
This immersive performance is based upon the surviving paintings by Gainsborough of his daughters currently on display as part Gainsborough’s Family Album. Consisting of short vignettes of dance and movement set to the music of oboist Johann Christian Fischer, it charts the development and decline of Mary (‘Molly’) and Margaret (‘Peggy’), who are portrayed by two sets of performers as the sisters both as young girls and young women.
Director: Luke Dixon
Musical Director: Tyrone Landau
Choreographer: Jane Turner
Cast: Angie Goddard, Maja Laskowska, Fiona McKinnon, Lizzie Willis,
Oboist: Liesbeth Allart with Theatre & Performance Practice students from London Metropolitan University
Duration: Approximately 40 minutes
- Exhibition Tour: Gainsborough’s Family Album: Curator-led Tour
- Members’ Afternoon Preview: Gainsborough’s Family Album
- Weekend Workshop: After Gainsborough
- International Conference: Portraiture and Biography
- Young People: Festive photo workshop
- Family workshop: Friendship Bracelets
- Members’ Evening Private View: Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2018 and Gainsborough’s Family Album
- Weekend Workshop: Conversation Piece Painting: painting portraits in pairs
- Lunchtime Lecture: Painting for Free
- Performance: Chasing the Butterfly: A performance for actors, dancers and oboist
Event ticket queries
Call +44 (0)20 7306 0055
A beautiful fully illustrated catalogue accompanies the exhibition Gainsborough’s Family Album.