Road to 2012
Road to 2012
Welcome to the National Portrait Gallery/BT Road to 2012 project. Explore the journey towards the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games through the commissioned photographs, exclusive interviews with photographers and athletes, and behind-the-scenes shots.
The Road to 2012 participation projects focused on engaging local people living and studying in the six Olympic host-boroughs, and explored local views and perspectives. The projects celebrated local stories of inspiration, achievement and community. The following videos highlight A Local Story, a project with east London photographer Katherine Green.
Explore the video playlists below by clicking on the thumbnails.
Portraits jointly commissioned with BT
In 2009 the National Portrait Gallery began the largest photographic commissioning project it has ever undertaken. The Gallery invited seven UK-based photographers to document the road to 2012. Working on location around the country, the project records the preparation towards the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Road to 2012 Stories Behind the Olympic Games
This remarkable collection of portraits showcases the men and women preparing for the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Commissioned over three years, these photographs tell the incredible stories of all those responsible for the London Olympics as well as the athletes whose dream it is to take part. Together they provide an unparalleled record of the human ingenuity and skill involved in creating the world’s pre-eminent sporting event.
- Adjacent to Wales Millennium Centre at Cardiff Bay: 30 March – 27 May 2012
- Mound Precinct, Edinburgh: 1 June – 8 July 2012
- Centenary Way, Birmingham: 13 July – 9 September 2012
- Large Photographs of London 2012 Hopefuls to be shown in open-air city centres; UK tour for National Portrait Gallery/BT Road 2012 Exhibition
- Striking Photographs of Scottish Athletes...National Portrait Gallery/BT Road to 2012 Comes to Edinburgh
- Large Open Air Photographs of Denise Lewis & Phillips Idowu....National Portrait Gallery/BT Road To 2012 come to Birmingham City Centre
- Gallery's biggest ever commission results in spectacular exhibition...including 40 new photographs of London 2012 stars
- Road to 2012: A Local Story
- Welsh Paralympic athlete Nathan Stephens opens UK tour of National Portrait Gallery/BP Road to 2012 Exhibition in Cardiff
- Road to 2012: Facing East
- Road to 2012 Changing Pace
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!