by Elliott & Fry
chlorobromide print on cream card mount, 1888
11 3/8 in. x 8 3/8 in. (289 mm x 213 mm) image size
Given by John Morton Morris, 2004
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10995 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (55 Baker Street, Portman Square, London)
Events of 1888back to top
Current affairsCharles Ritchie, President of the Local Government Board, is responsible for the Local Government Act, a landmark piece of reform that establishes 62 elected county councils and over sixty county boroughs, with responsibility for roads, bridges, drains and general county business.
Five prostitutes are murdered, and their bodies mutilated, in Whitechapel, East London, by an unidentified killer who became known as 'Jack the Ripper'. The murderer was never discovered.
Art and scienceHeinrich Hertz performs experiments validating James Clark Maxwell's model of electromagnetic radiation, a form of wireless energy transfer. His apparatus for generating electromagnetic waves is recognised as the first radio transmitter.
The term 'arts and crafts' is coined by the bookbinder T J Cobden-Sanderson with the establishment of the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society.
InternationalAccession of Kaiser Wilhelm II to the German throne. Wilhelm, the son of Kaiser Frederick III and Victoria, daughter of Queen Victoria, was the last Kaiser of Germany.
George Eastman invents the Kodak box camera, the first commercially successful box camera for roll film, with the slogan 'you press the button - we do the rest'.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Rebel women
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.