probably Queen Mary I
probably Queen Mary I
after Unknown artist
plaster cast of a medal, (16th century)
1 1/4 in. x 1 1/8 in. (32 mm x 27 mm) overall
Given by British Museum Department of Coins and Medals
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary I (1516-1558), Reigned 1553-58; daughter of Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
Events of 1500back to top
Current affairsHenry VII meets Philip the Fair of Burgundy at Calais to confirm the resolution of trade disputes with the Netherlands and to discuss dynastic marriages for Prince Henry, later Henry VIII, and Princess Mary, later Queen of France.
Art and sciencePedro Álvares Cabral becomes the first European to sail to Brazil, and claims the land for Portugal.
William Caxton's successor, Wynkyn de Worde, establishes a printing press in Fleet Street, London. The area becomes synonymous with printing.
InternationalLouis XII of France and Ferdinand II of Aragon agree to divide the Kingdom of Naples between them at the Treaty of Granada
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Tudor Miniatures
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.