by Stephen Conroy
oil on canvas, 1999
72 in. x 48 in. (1829 mm x 1219 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Sir Jonathan Wolfe Miller (1934-2019), Physician, theatre and opera director and television presenter. Sitter in 29 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Stephen Conroy exhibited in the National Portrait Gallery's Portrait Award in the 1980s and shot to fame after graduating from Glasgow School of Art. He is now recognised as one of the foremost figurative artists of his generation who revisits the elusive single figure in both his paintings and his prints.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- Hayward, Tony (foreword), BP Portrait Award 2007, 2007 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 14 June to 16 September 2007), p. 9
- Howgate, Sarah; Nairne, Sandy, A Guide to Contemporary Portraits, 2009, p. 2
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 431
Mediaback to top
Events of 1999back to top
Current affairsFollowing referendums in 1997, The Scottish Parliament is opened and Welsh Assembly established in 1999. The new Scottish Parliament has the powers to pass legislation and alter tax. The Welsh Assembly currently has less legislative authority but controls a budget for Wales and can amend legislation passed by Westminster.
The House of Lords Act removes all but 92 Hereditary Lords from the second chamber.
Art and scienceTom Stoppard and Marc Norman's film, Shakespeare in Love wins the Oscar for Best Picture. The film, starring Joseph Fiennes, Gwyneth Paltrow, Judi Dench, Geoffrey Rush, and Colin Firth, among other British screen stars, provides a fictitious account of the events that inspired William Shakespeare to write Romeo and Juliet.
InternationalNATO begins a bombing campaign against the government of Yugoslavia following the breakdown of the Rambouillet Accords that attempted to grant Kosovo autonomy within Serbia under NATO administration. After nearly three months of bombing, Slobodan Milosevic agreed to allow a peacekeeping force to enter Kosovo and the province was placed under a United Nations Interim Administration.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints